Thursday, April 5, 2012

Good Friday's Last Supper on Belgian Linen


An Early Friday Vintage Find

I'm spending Good Friday with my special little girl who is now almost taller than I am.  I thought I'd post this a little early.


A good mystery is great when you know the ending is just a few pages within your grasp.  This stamped needlework pattern is a great mystery with no such ending.  The pattern has no copyright,  no date, no company name or address to help me solve its history mystery.  Judging by the looks of the two-tone ink cover, I would say the kit comes from the 50's or 60's, but that's a twenty year guess.  The instructions appear to be typed out on a typewriter.   It does have the number "965."  It also claims to be printed in the United States.


(I must say that the instructions look like a headache in the making.)



The stamped pattern is very light and somewhat difficult to photograph.  I hope you can see it well enough to capture a glimpse of DaVinci's masterpiece.  I wonder how the painter would feel to know his creation was now a stamped embroidery design.  What do you think?  Is imitation always the highest form of flattery?



Whenever I look at DaVinci's Last Supper, I wonder what Christ is thinking.  He knows that soon one of those at the table will betray Him.


When He announces the fact to His followers, they begin to question, "Is it I?"

I can just see the disciples looking at each other, too. . . thinking, Is it you?


Jesus quickly tells the betrayer Judas to leave while Jesus and the disciples finish their supper.


This Friday, although I'll be with my special girl, I'll also be thanking my Lord.
When He faced death on that cross and took upon himself the sin of the world, He took my sin, too.

Thank you, Jesus.

Amy

"For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish,
but have everlasting life."
John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment