Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday's Vintage Find


This tiny framed print intrigues me.  I think it's the irony of the piece.  It's barely bigger than a 4 x 5 card.  The company issuing the piece is a mystery since they only left a couple of letters and numbers on the back.  The framing, the wood, the velvet ribbon inlaid on the front, the glass rather than plastic inset, and the aged metal eyelet hanger all tell me the piece is true vintage.



Here's the irony.  This is vintage trying to look antique.  Inside of the glass is either a reproduction or an original page of an 1800's children's grammar book -- hence the inclusion of the pronouns "thou" and "thy."



I do have a second framed page of the grammar book, but do you think I could find it today to photograph? How frustrating.  It's the print I'm keeping, and I probably placed it somewhere safe so that I would not confuse it with the print I was selling.  Hmmm . . . .another irony perhaps.

Enjoy your weekend.

Amy

"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."
Revelations 22:13



4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy! It's a beautiful vintage frame, and grammar page. I love the red ribbon. I didn't know that ribbon was used in frames! I hope you are able to find the one your looking for. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I just had to comment, I have about six of these little gems! I'm a teacher so I just love them. I too believe them to be vintage. I have 4 with green ribbon and 2 with the red. Glad to know there are others out there, I'll keep looking!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,

    I came across this posting as I was trying to do some research on a few of these prints I have recently picked up at an estate sale. Mine are similar to the one you have pictured here, except with green velvet on the frame.

    Did you ever end up finding anything out about this?

    Thanks!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I did have a reader email me with some info. Apparently, the little framed primer/grammar pages were sold in a catalog called "Marshal Fields." (I think. It's been a while.) I don't believe the reader knew the date. You can see in the other comments that one of the other readers has some green velvet ones. The numbers on the back of mine seem to support the idea that they were "catalog" orders. If I find out anything else, I'll let you know. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete