Monday, January 27, 2014

Embroidered Challah Cover





 
      We've been having a little too much winter in our little neck of the woods. The combination of snow, single digit temperatures, and county water issues have interrupted our school year. We've only had five school days this January, and four of those were shortened days.

      Today will be another shortened day.


Sometimes you have to just make the best of things.
     I am thankful we now have usable water. I never realized how many times a day I turned on a faucet until I couldn't turn on a faucet for seven days.  It's an eye-opening experience.

 
     I'm also thankful for a warm place to call home.  Last night at church, a young man gave a testimony about finding an unresponsive homeless man inside one of the empty homes he was checking out for work.  The homeless man was suffering from hypothermia.  What a reminder of all that I have to be thankful for every day!
 
 

On another note . . . .
Here's an acquisition I'd like some help with. I found it tucked in the drawer of a large hutch at an antique store. This is the only time I've ever come across a vintage piece of Jewish embroidery.

I have tried unsuccessfully to research the symbols.
 
I've had the opportunity to visit Israel,
and have several items from the country. I thought I'd display the piece with these special items.



I'm guessing that this embroidered piece may be a challah cover for the challah bread shared at Shabbat. I've learned several Jewish symbols, but can't seem to recognize these.

I see the bread, the pomegranate, an egg possibly, and what looks like a leg of meat.









Can you help me with this?
  I'd love to understand the Hebrew words and the symbols.

Stay warm!

Amy

By the way, our two hour delay has just turned into a full snow day!  Sigh . . . .
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. We are just going to pretend we homeschool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a brutal month, hasn't it? Hope you're staying warm, at least, and not too crazy with the kids home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Only 5 days of school? I bet your children are happy. It has been a really cold winter. I wish I could help you with your cloth. Good luck.
    Stay warm

    ReplyDelete