Friday, January 27, 2012

Looking Close

 

One day at an estate sale, I purchased a grouping of vintage linens bundled together for a decent price.  When I took them home, I was able to look at each item more closely and found this tea towel in my bundle.  The embroidery is really well done, and the red crochet was still in excellent condition.  This embroidery pattern is more than likely a "Days of the Week" pattern.  I've seen the seven day set pictured in a book about vintage kitchen linens.  The little canine housekeeper on my towel happens to be "Friday."  The maker chose for some reason to leave off the day of the week. 




I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I missed the real jewel in this piece.  I even tried to sell it for a brief while.  Now it's one of my favorite pieces that I keep in my own collection.  Let me tell you why.




Can you see the holes in the fabric?  The row of holes to the right of the red crochet is where the drawstring was removed from the feedsack.  This is my first feedsack embroidered tea towel, and I almost missed it.  I enjoy vintage items because of the story they share.  When an embroidered item has fabric that gives an additional story, I'm fascinated.

Thank you for letting me share.

Amy

"For the Lord seeth not as man seeth;  for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart."  I Samuel 16:7

No comments:

Post a Comment